Thursday, March 14, 2013

English on March 14, 2013

Today's English assignment is a Quiz. Students are taking the quiz in class, but you can also find a digital copy of the quiz at this link: March 14, 2013 English Quiz.

Why am I giving this quiz today? Two reasons...

Self-Assessments
The quiz has a self-assessment section. I like self-assessments because they help students reflect on what they're good at and what they need improvement with.

Non-Multiple Choice Questions
I want to find out what my students can do on non-multiple choice questions. This quiz asks students to write short-answer questions.

I've found that there are many students who can verbally answer a question such as, "What is the main idea of this reading?". But these same students might get a multiple choice questions about main idea (for example) wrong, usually because they pick the distractor answer. While there is definitely a strong rational for including distractor answers on multiple choice exams (which you can read about here), I want to use this exam to see how students can do when they're not being purposefully distracted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment